Saturday, December 17, 2011

Can a credit card chargeback happen to a government agency?

I have a friend who paid a speeding ticket for me but she's now threatening to do a credit card chargeback to get back the payment. I've already paid her back. Will the credit card company side with her if the other party is a government agency??





I know you need to a valid reason to do a chargeback, like fraud. Can she say it was fraud because it wasn't her ticket? I have text messages to prove that she agreed to pay for it but I don't know if I can even defend myself.|||The text messages do not prove that she agreed to anything. They only prove that whomever sent the text messages agreed to something.





Hypothetically, if someone steals someone's credit card and phone, uses the stolen phone to send a text message agreeing to pay something, and then uses the stolen credit card to pay something, that is a valid reason for the person who owns the phone and credit card to do a chargeback.|||Tell her good luck with that one. LOL





She can dispute it, but, more than likely, it will be rejected and put back on her card.|||There is no way in the world that her credit card company is going to get into the middle of a civil dispute with a city government. They'll almost certainly reject it...Even if they do reverse the charges, she'll just have to pay it again.





If your friend is disputing the speeding ticket, then she needs to address this issue with the court. Speeding tickets are hard to dispute.

No comments:

Post a Comment