Saturday, December 17, 2011

Using your credit card to shop on line. What steps do you take to guarantee security?

I only tried it once and had a bad experience. Once the firm got my credit card number, they started sending me merchandise monthly that I did not order and charging me for it. I cancelled the card but it's still not settled.


Even though I sent their merchandise back to them, they still have not given me credit for it.|||It's best to shop from cites that are reliable ... check them out first. You do really have to pay attention to the "fine print" so to speak because many company's will get you that way. Especially those with products that you use frequently like beauty products, cleaning products, etc.





I've only had one problem and it was from a TV offer not the internet. I don't ever buy anything from TV offers now because most are automated and it's real easy to fall prey to multiple orders like what you described.





I do most of my shopping from the internet and so far (thank you Lord) I've never had a problem with using my credit card. I've had to return some merchandise because it wasn't right but that had nothing to do with the credit card.





You did the right thing ... notify your bank and credit card company and let them handle it.|||Purchasing things with your credit card offers protection that you can't get by paying with other methods. There is nothing to worry about because if you really didn't authorize a charge or purchase you can dispute the transaction with your bank and the funds will be credited back to your card. This has nothing to do with the vendor deciding to credit you back. VISA/MC/DISCOVER/AMEX all take on that responsibility. They guarantee the funds. That is why it's so hard to get a merchant account to be able to accept credit cards. Buying online is not any less safe than anything else. The vendor would have to PROVE that you willingly signed or authorized the transaction and if you didn't, then they can't prove that and you would get your money back fast. It's very simple. You need to keep track of your transactions so you know what you did.





Hope that helps.|||That's bad. Normally the online websites I deal with have an extra layer of security like Lloyds Bank's 'Click Safe' which requires and extra password. But since I have bought via them I have had no problem. There are other security systems employed by websites and I can't quite remember their names, I think one is something like 'Veritas' and that was fine. Ebay items from reputable sellers have been good too.|||I don't do that, I call by phone and they can put my Credit Card # in, they they will send me confirmation # right away, and through my email.





Email me and share me the merchant's name so I can watch.





I learn a lot from experienced working in CC, from reading, and not trusting people It only happens once.|||You'd best call the credit card company and inquire as to their policy about disputing charges.

No comments:

Post a Comment